Saturday, November 25, 2006

Party like it's 1999

Yesterday was the biggest day of the year for Aggie fans. We watched our beloved play the longhorns. It's Halie's family's turn for Thanksgiving this year and we had it on a Friday at her Grandma's house. I like to be locked in to my TV set so I wasn't too excited about that, but at least I would get to see it. Her dad is a Longhorn alum who is a very intense fan as well. It was my first time to watch the game with him as normally he wants to be by himself so he can "concentrate." He doesn't make a big deal about the longhorns winning - I think because he is used to it. Maybe a little too used to it. However this year would produce something different

We haven't beat t.u. anywhere since 1999 and we haven't beat them in Austin since 1994 (which was the last time we were pretty good). The game was mostly a defensive struggle but the Aggies popped out to an early lead. As the game wound on I didn't think we had enough points to beat them. I figured in regular longhorn fashion they would make a last second run when it really mattered. But they didn't. Halie's dad sat on the couch 2 feet away from me mostly quiet and expressionless. Anytime the Aggies would score or do something good, Halie would jump up and dance with the singing Aggie bobblehead doll that I brought. I tried to remain mostly even keeled because after 3 heartbreaking losses this season I know how quickly things can change.

When the dust had finally settled though, the score was still there 12-7 Aggies. What a sweet sweet victory. The Aggie faithful everywhere really needed this one! 365 days of pure bliss.

1 comments:

Matt and Cindy Fleharty said...

Oh man, I know all about watching the game next to some intense longhorns....I was in the stadium with Matt and his dad! :) They took it well though!